My name is Birgit Wyss and I have loved handicrafts for 45 years. In 2016 I made more of this love for wool and founded my own online shop with the brand Chiemseegarn . Since then I have been producing gradient yarns from polyacrylic and cotton with my family.
Real wool fans know: Working with gradient yarn is a lot of fun, but it requires some care when planning new pieces! Therefore, today I dedicate myself to the question: What should you look out for when buying gradient yarn?
There are different types of gradient yarns. First of all, they differ in the composition, i.e. the mixture of yarns. On the other hand, they are available in different strengths and color gradients. The quality also makes a difference: very good gradient yarn does not fall apart when you work, it is a bit tightly ply. Inferior gradient yarn often has the disadvantage that one thread is longer than the others because they weren't pulled taut straight away.
It is only with great care that a super-easy-to-process color gradient yarn is created in the production process, which offers a wonderful play of colors like our Chiemsee yarn.
In the following we explain everything you need to know about beautiful color gradient yarns. Working with the great color effects is not as straightforward as with plain-colored wool. You will find out how such a gradient yarn is made and what the quality features are. We also don't want to hide the advantages of buying in our shop, because we offer our dear customers a special service.
What are bobbles or gradient yarns?
They are affectionately called Bobbel by experienced knitting friends, the motley plied yarns with different color gradients. But what exactly does “Bobbel” mean? These yarns are usually not twisted, so there are not several threads twisted together, but they are pinned, which means laid next to each other. This creates a different picture with knitting and crocheting than with twisted yarns.
The Bobbel is available in thread sizes from 3 to 8. You can also choose from different thread sizes for the Chiemseegarn.
A bobble is a color gradient yarn that consists of several threads connected by fine knots. Bobbels can be machine made or hand wound. If you order from Chiemseegarn, the threads will be wound by hand in the desired thickness, depending on how much thread you order your bobble.
What do you have to pay attention to when processing bobbles or gradient yarns?
When working with bobble or gradient yarns, there are a few things to consider before the fun can start. First things first:
- Do not pierce the wool with the needle and do not play with the wool! The cat shouldn't get hold of it either. Anything that tears up the bobble can make it unusable.
- Bobbel can be processed inside or outside. Depending on which color should come first.
- If you start them from the outside, it is best to put them in a small bowl, otherwise they will move and roll away while working.
- If you process Bobbel from the inside, working is quite comfortable.
- If a larger ball of yarn comes loose while working from the inside, you shouldn't pull on it too much. Loosen it loosely.
- Carefully pull out the starting thread from the middle and pull it long
- Look carefully when knitting and crocheting to catch all the threads. "Blind" knitting or crocheting like in television is not recommended.
Bobbel with glitter yarn - great effects
At Chiemseegarn there is of course the possibility to order your yarn with glitter thread. However, there are a few things to consider when working with glitter thread:
- Start bobbels with glitter yarn from the outside!
- If you start from the inside: Please very carefully pull the thread straight out from above.
- Glitter yarn has the property that the other threads adhere to it.
You see, bobbles are sensitive creatures that you simply have to handle with care, then they will reward you with wonderful knitting or crocheting!
Different manufacturers - different color gradients and qualities of bobbles
There are now several suppliers of gradient yarns. As a layman, of course, you can't see the forest for the trees. We'll help you out and explain some of the differences.
Chiemsee yarns have a clear but very subtle color gradient. Therefore knitting or crocheting with repetitive patterns, with plastic motifs and with pretty holey ajour patterns are suitable. Very simple and even patterns such as the stockinette on the right are the classics and result from our yarns simply gorgeous sweaters or triangular scarves.
Other manufacturers often offer gradient yarns with very bright colors, hard contrasts and hard transitions. It is of course a question of taste whether you like this better. With these yarns you should be very sparing with patterns.
We at Chiemseegarn try to make every single color gradient unique and particularly harmonious, so that every bobble becomes something very special and develops its own life, so to speak! As a handmade one-of-a-kind, our bobbles are always unique and offer you very individual craftsmanship fun. Our color combinations are individual creations, inspired by nature, cuisine and colorful life in general. Discover with us bobbles like optical delicacies like the yarns
What makes gradient yarns good quality?
If you catch a yarn of poor quality, you will notice this quickly while working. The yarn flutters apart. One thread is longer than the other and you cannot compensate for this yourself. Knitting and crocheting become a challenge that you eventually give up. If a yarn is not well wound, you will not enjoy it.
We at Chiemseegarn pay very close attention to the fact that our yarns are wound relatively tightly so that each thread has the same tension. This is the only way to create a uniform mesh structure.
The composition of the bobble also makes a big difference! The individual yarns used must be compatible with each other. It's not that easy to combine different yarns, but it makes sense. Because the properties of the individual yarns can complement each other perfectly, as with our mixture of 50% cotton and 50% acrylic. This mix makes our gradient yarn particularly tough, tear-resistant and absorbent.It can be washed very well and is therefore easy to care for. The biggest plus is the comfort. If you only used cotton, for example, you would have a lot more weight with the finished pieces, they would rather wear out and lose their shape. The advantages of Chiemseegarn at a glance:
- Particularly robust and easy to process
- Absorbent, therefore easy to wash and easy to care for
- High wearing comfort due to light weight
- Environmentally friendly mix
- All threads are pinned tight enough so that every pattern succeeds
Special wishes come true - Chiemseegarn makes it possible
I like to play magic fairy for my customers and make seemingly impossible dreams come true! We can manufacture our yarns individually according to customer requirements and are absolutely open to new ideas and unconventional ideas. We don't have a large warehouse on which shelves full of yarns are waiting for you, but we make every yarn that we order from scratch. Just a week later you have your individually folded gradient yarn and you can start!
Your wishes - our service:
- Order the Bobbel we have put together from the shop or get creative yourself!
- All products are available in 3 - 8 threads, according to your wishes, in lengths between 600 and 1200 linear meters. Or maybe you have a completely different wish such as a special run length or a different thread count?
- Make a wish! You can also email us your personal gradient yarn without registering, send it to us by PN via Facebook or phone.
- You have the fantastic choice from over 100,000 possible combinations!
- If you have any questions or problems, just contact us.
- Our large Facebook community with over 3,500 members is also available for exchange and inspiration.
- We ply the yarn from scratch!
- You will get it delivered within a week.
- From an order value of 39 € shipping is free!
For our community - the Bobbelkiste for individual use
Our handicraft community is very important to us and so we always find new extras to respond to the wishes of knitting and crochet friends. Of course we know that not every piece of work can be made from the finished bobbles. And yet our fans want to make children's clothing, sweaters, jackets or even socks very individually. This is only possible with the finished bobbles with a lot of calculations or precise instructions, as you can download them for free in our shop.
But with the Bobbelkisten you can also use other instructions, because the Bobbelkisten allow you to create the thread course yourself.
The boxes contain 9 bobbles in perfectly harmonizing colors.
We wish you a lot of fun working with our colorful bobbles and great instructions! Feel free to become part of our community and send us pictures of your work - we look forward to it!.